Friday, June 16, 2017

A Night Out in Dubrovnik, Croatia

I haven't been back to Dubrovnik in a long while, so I was pleased to make a return there this past weekend when my friends and I celebrated my 30th Birthday in a resort nearby. Dubrovnik is known for its distinctive Old Town, encircled with massive stone walls completed in the 16th century. Its well-preserved buildings range from baroque St. Blaise Church to Renaissance Sponza Palace and Gothic Rector’s Palace, now a history museum. Paved with limestone, the pedestrianized Stradun is lined with shops and restaurants. We enjoyed out night here and even saw some places in the Old Town that I hadn't seen before. So come along.

On the Stradun

There weren't that many people in the city on Saturday Night. June is not prime month when it comes to tourists. You can find more crowds in July and August here. But for this evening it was very nice to have less crowds. Of course Dubrovnik is also known as being a shooting location of HBO's Game of Thrones. So walking down the streets, is not only very impressive, but also reminiscent to the fans of the show.





Views from the Night

We walked out into the harbor from the Stradun. At the end of the walking path you can gaze out into the open sea. A huge cruiser could be seen in the not to far distance. I rested my camera on the stones and made some long-exposure shots. I loved sitting here and just gazing at the sea and stars. It was very relaxing.








Back in the Old Town we went towards some new places. People were enjoying their dinners and drinks. We went towards some really huge steps and from top of the stairs you could see the views shown in the next image. I loved being here. The night was so calm and relaxed (though getting up all those stairs was a little bit sweat inducing).



A late night surprise

Before we returned to the parking lot we walked towards a special hidden place on the edge of the outer walls. Following signs in the old town that told us "this way to really cold drinks" we found a cafe. A narrow opening in the walls (shown above) leads you to it. It was a nice place to relax, enjoy a drink and enjoy looking out into the night.


Getting the Shot

As we were driving back home I wanted to get a good shot of the whole Old Town of Dubrovnik. In order to get the shot above we had to pull over on the side of a very narrow road. It was very dark, but I still managed to get the show handheld, which was a miracle. In the next image you can see us parked on the side of the road.


As the night ended we drove back to Mlini and the next day it was time to go back home. I hope you enjoyed our little field trip to Dubrovnik.




27 comments:

  1. Although I still read your blog (when I'm reading blogs at all - life's been busy) I haven't commented for a while. Often because I spend so much time just gazing at the views (usually very late at night) I run out of time (or fall asleep). This particular post really caught my imagination ((I know absolutely nothing about Game of Thrones by the way) so I thought I'd say "Hello" again. You are a tremendous ambassador for the region.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Graham. Glad to know you are visiting, I know how busy we all are (me included). Sometimes it's hard to leave comments. But I still appreciate your visit. Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  2. I hope to get to Dubrovnik one day. Your photos have convinced me that I must visit. It looks wonderful ( and I know nothing of game of thrones either).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have to actually. :) It's just an added bonus. The city is of course great without any knowledge of the show.

      Delete
  3. Great such a reportage made totally in the "dark" . Of course digital photography makes it much easier but still a lot of people doesn't do this. I like it and Dubrovnik is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your visit, yeah shooting pictures in the dark is no easy task, but I like the results. :D

      Delete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous night images. You must have a very steady hand to have captured that hand-held shot of the city.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, beautiful city and I love the night shots and water views. Happy Birthday to you! Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 11, 15 and 20 are my speak to me shots and the rest are as always stunning night views. love that narrow walkway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All photographs that you shared are really awesome and it shows how perfect you capture the moment. Mind-blowing!
    discount airline tickets
    online flight booking
    low price flights Tickets discount flight tickets
    best flight deals
    discount flight tickets

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday, Mersad! Your posts have always made me wanted to visit the places, but this post is one of the most convincing with photos. Really breathtaking night shots with such low light and you wonderfully incorporated many tourists into your photo story. Thanks for sharing. With best wishes,

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Mersad,
    happy birthday. I didn't know that Dubrovnik is such a beautiful town and your pictures are amazing. After seeing this shots I also would like to spent some time in this city.

    Many greetings
    Wolfgang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to one day! Thanks for your visit Wolfgang.

      Delete
  10. This post once again demonstrates that you are a master of night photography with its bright lights and deep shadows. I thought you must have had a tripod for many of these pictures? Your photo of the whole town from the road above is terrific. Looks like you had a good time in Dubrovnik. BTW, Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not have a tripod for any of these pictures. The Canon 6D I'm shooting with is really great in low-light situations.

      Delete
  11. Traumhaft schöne Aufnahmen und eine sehr faszinierende Stadt, wo ich noch nicht war. Ich liebe deine Nachtbilder!
    Liebe Grüße

    ReplyDelete
  12. The shot of your lovely sister in the doorway--- the look on her face... all together a wonderful image. And some of those night shots are incredible. You are the master of night shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try my best Bill. Thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  13. Ja, hat mir wieder sehr gefallen lieber Mersad. Ich weiß dass ich als Kind auch schon mal dort gewesen bin, allerdings kann ich mich daran nicht wirklich erinnern. Von daher schön solche tolle Bilder von dort zu sehen. Danke dass du uns mitgenommen hast.

    Wünsche dir bzw. euch ein schönes Wochenende und sende herzliche Grüsse

    N☼va

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing night shots, Mersad! What a wonderful place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Outstanding photos. Your land based "tripod" did the trick on those long exposure times. I have not yet been to Dubrovnik (and I don't watch Game of Thrones) so the streets do look impressive to me. The limestone buildings and paving are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. simply perfect night shot Mersad
    ciao

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent post. I was always checking this blog, and I’m impressed! Extremely useful info specially the last part, I care for such information a lot. I was exploring this particular info for a long time. Thanks to this blog my exploration has ended. outdoor hot tub inflatable

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad I found this web site, I couldn't find any knowledge on this matter prior to.Also operate a site and if you are ever interested in doing some visitor writing for me if possible feel free to let me know, im always look for people to check out my web site. Viaje a Canadá para titulares de tarjetas verdes de los Estados Unidos

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe

Image Credits

All Rights are Reserved. The images may not be reproduced, copied, transmitted or manipulated without the written permission of the author.